Monday, November 10, 2008

Farmer's Market - The Dream I Didn't Know I Had


Since my last post, a lot has happened:

- renamed my company, Little Piggy Bakery, designed a logo with my husband, Alec. And a few days ago, he suggested I rename it again to Little Piggy Cupcakes
- acquired one regular loyal client, Playdate Cafe in San Anselmo, to which I deliver 2 1/2 dozen mini cupcakes - 5 different flavors, twice a week.
- gained another client and lost them in one week because the cupcakes were not selling
- provided samples to half a dozen cafes, all of which have not shown any interest
- developed 2 tea flavored cupcakes (chai and green tea), especially for a tea shop in San Anselmo, which has yet to place an order
- did custom design cupcakes for a dozen kids birthday parties - fun, but time consuming, business is very sporatic

I never wanted to open my own bake shop - the headache of maintaining a physical space, staffing, etc... This is why my original plan was to do wholesale baking and sell to cafes. Unfortunately, most cafes were not interested in cupcakes. I had to come up with another market.

I didn't seriously consider the Farmers Market until my neighbor who's a caterer, suggested it to me a couple weeks ago. The San Rafael Civic Center Farmers Market, the one we go to every Sunday, happens to be the largest in California. The Farmers Market would be an ideal venue - it had the volume of customers and they have money.

The same day my neighbor suggested I try the FM, I called their main office. I spoke to Tyler who said the Civic Center FM is full, that I may have to try the ones in Hayward or Newark, "unless your cupcakes are to-die-for". He added that another cupcake business had already applied a week ago. I immediately assumed that the other cupcake company had already been accepted. But Tyler encouraged me to send an application in anyways, which made me think I still had a chance against the other cupcake company.

I spent the next two nights and several hours writing, revising my application - the main questions being - how is my product unique and what is my history/background as related to my product. I personally submitted my application on a Friday and by Wed the following week I received a voicemail asking me to drop off samples. I squealed and clapped with excitement - this was my big break! Once they try my cupcakes, well, the taste will speak for themselves.

I baked the same night and the following day, dropped off the samples on Friday morning. I felt very good about them - they were sampled and resampled, approved by Alec and even my brother Randy. They were very cleanly decorated as well.

All day Friday I kept my cell phone close to me hoping they would call, but they didn't.

By the time Monday arrives, I've sort of let go of waiting for the FM to call me, but I figured they'd call by this week. I take Laura out in the stroller for our usual mid-morning stroller outing. For some reason, I forget my cell phone. By the time we head home, Laura has fallen asleep in the stroller and I carefully roll her into her bedroom. I check my phone and there is a red light flashing indicating that I have a voicemail. I open the phone and it displays a number which I vaguely recognize, but I'm pretty sure it's Playdate Cafe.

It isn't. It's Tyler from FM asking me to call him, not saying why. I immediately call back and luckily Tyler is available to talk to me. And as if it was scripted by my own fantasy, Tyler said that everyone "loved" my cupcakes and that I had beat out two other cupcake submissions and they've accepted me for the Thurs Civic Center FM. I wanted to cheer, cry, laugh, hug someone, but all I can say was "oh my god" and "thank you so much" softly because Laura was sleeping.

The FM venue can not be more ideal. I get to see my customers face to face and see the joy that my cupcakes will bring to people. I get the community feel of having a bake shop but not have to deal with the physical upkeep of the space. It's no frills - people will come if they love my product. I get to sell my product for retail price - no middle person. I see my product through from inception to delivery. I believe in the farmers market, I've been a patron almost my entire adult life.

Now comes the hard work - designing my vendor space, getting the business/health permits, renting a commercial kitchen, facing the customer and finding out whether the world is truly ready for Little Piggy Cupcakes.

3 comments:

wootang (Terry) said...

Congratulations Tina! I'm really happy for you. I knew you'd beat out the other company. Thanks for sharing your excitement. I bet Randy was happy to be your taste-tester, lol.

Noreen said...

Congratulations, Tina! Great news about LPB taking off. We wish we were there to sample in person.
Noreen, Matt & Finn

Ryan said...

I really like "Little Piggy Cupcakes" has a nice ring to it. good luck!